Thursday, October 6, 2011

Show Me The Money..

"Show Me the Money," a well-known phrase uttered by characters in the 1996 film Jerry Maguire. Jerry Maguire is a 1996 American romantic comedy-drama film starring Tom Cruise. It was written, co-produced, and directed by Cameron Crowe.It's critical consensus states: Anchored by dazzling performances from Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Renée Zellweger, as well as Cameron Crowe's tender direction, Jerry Maguire meshes romance and sports with panache."
Make no mistakes; I am not here to give a review on the movie. Nonetheless, I would love to review on how hot Tom Cruise is, that would be a different post altogether viewed under adult content..LOL. These two weeks have been a quite a revelation. As I sit down with a few quite interesting people that showed me a different deportment on life. One of them actually requested me to write it down but as always life gets in the way and  I completely  left it somewhere at the back of my mind.
Yesterday I was taken by surprise by the event that I am about to narrate, which co-relates to the three interesting people I convene with earlier last week.  Last night I received a phone call from a former student a fine 19 years old young boy, he was sobbing he was saying that the people in the college  is alienating him because he is not rich enough hence cannot afford to buy the coolest stuff (ie: I-pad, stamp pad , sanitary pad etc what not... I am very bad with technology and plus I don’t care much) The worst part is this student which is a Muslim have given up on life and god( according to him god is not fair since they are rich and poor people if god is powerful why cant he makes everybody rich) because of this quandary . He says between sobbing that my life would be so much better if my family was so much richer. Well without much deliberation I pretty much gave him a lot of consoling and try my best to convincing him, he finally calm down after 1 hour.
Alas, for me what he said stuck in me and pose a question within the inner realm of my conscience “ would our life be so much better if we are all richer? Many of us would scream no! but then why are we living on a constant rat race to make ends meet? Please do not misunderstood me.. I am the forth generation from a family of entrepreneurs, my great grandparents travelled thousands miles away from  the Indian Sub-Continent and the coastal city of Yemen to this small peninsular to establish their own business, you want to talk money with me? I was brought up with only one motto: minimise cost maximise profits, so I do understood the meaning of money and its importance..but the ultimate reservation would it make everything feels so much better?
I started working at the tender age of 14, I was given the task of financial management at the same time, thus I have not become a very frivolous person. I have always been very careful with money. I have always taken pride that I rarely let material define whom I am. It is more one occurrence that I bought things from pasar malam and manage to work the outfit and I have always been taught from my previous career that it is not the brand or the outfit or other material stuff  that make the person. It is their charisma, persona and character that make a great impact.
Despondently, even with this perspective in life I am constantly living in a rat race, I have without guilt constantly traded the RM with quality time with families and friends. I have always been a culpable workaholic striving for the RM. I have met and dated a lot of men that think money can buy love, well cant really blame them do we... ?The things some people would do for money. I constantly think about money and sometimes dream about money.
Moving back to my congregation with these three people: I have come to this finale, there is more to life than a profligate facade, live in expensive house,  drive expensive cars , wine and dine in the best restaurant , because happiness is not something that can be bought, secondly your family , friends and faith is the most important things in life never neglect them, because we are given a limited time on earth, we must always put these things first before money, and finally when you die you leave this world with nothing except our deeds and a memories of our life on earth. Therefore re-evaluate your priority because all of us have an expiry date and eventually that day would  come...
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.  ~H.H. "Breaker" Morant

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the most private spaces of each person's inner conscious life, a deep dissatisfaction is lurking, a nagging sense that life is somehow out of kilter, misaligned, not quite as it should be.
No matter how rich or secure or successful a person may be, a fundamental dissatisfaction still persists. The reasons for that dissatisfaction are plain. Everything a human being hopes for is in some sense imperfect, disappointing, or hollow. In the end we all die, which is the ultimate disappointment.

At the same time, surely there are things that every person, no matter how poor or wretched, can be sincerely grateful for. Some things bring more joy than pain, even if the joy is tinged with grief, and even if those things are lost at death.

To renounce desire is not a humane response to the fundamental dissatisfaction, even if the pursuit of desire really were the cause of pain and frustration. It seems that a characteristic of all living things is that they grasp relentlessly after survival and opportunity.
Many human needs are rooted in biology. Those obviously shouldn't be denied or trivialized. Pain is a fact. We feel pain or grief from loss. Desire is part of what makes us vital.

In any case, disassociating from desire can never actually relieve suffering, because the presence of pain and the lack of pleasure are not what causes suffering.

First of all, pain is not necessarily a synonym for suffering. We can't deny or escape pain, but we can be free from suffering by changing how we relate to the fundamental dissatisfaction.

The fundamental dissatisfaction is an unquenchable thirst that is a side effect of human cognition itself, due to being sentient in the physical world.

We can conceive of a perfectly round circle or a perfectly straight line, but those never exist in the physical world. Nothing in the physical world ever lines up exactly with our inner concepts. How we respond to the experience of that misalignment is what matters.

The mistake that leads to suffering is the simple delusion that the fundamental dissatisfaction can be extinguished by gaining more pleasure or feeling less pain or, in other words, by getting more of what we want.

The root cause of suffering is that we unrelentingly struggle to get rid of the fundamental dissatisfaction by means of the fulfillment of our desires, and yet that dissatisfaction sticks to us as a perpetual, unanswerable craving.

It can be difficult to realize that the fundamental dissatisfaction even exists, because it is veiled by our restless struggle to get rid of it. Once we realize that it exists, we're too horrified to accept that it really is unquenchable.

Paradoxically, by facing the emptiness and by surrendering completely to its inevitability, we come to deep peace and no longer suffer.

Pain is natural and inevitable, and all animals feel it, but the condition of suffering is unnecessary

Born to ride(:

Anonymous said...

hi there...

which part of your grandparents from yemen and south-india...just one to know...you face look so sweet...

QuEeN oF tHe DaMnEd said...

my mum side her dad is frm india her mum is thais, my dad had a yemenite dad and a malay mum