Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Art of Homemaking

Women of the 21st century are no longer confined to their traditional roles. They no longer are homemaker; in gratitude to the development of women education, they are now professionals that contribute to the nation economy. These women subsequent to tying the knot would later embrace the traditional role of home maker mutually with their professional roles.  Indeed maintaining and striking a balance between these two roles is quite exigent in nature.
Contrary to the women in the 50’s and 60’s, the 70’s saw women entering the workforce in immensity.  My mum and my mother in law was the first of these generation, my mum had a wonderful secretarial career, followed later with a little in modeling and acting. My mother in law was a teacher for 30 over years she recently retired early this year. I have grown up seeing these women tackle these two demanding role as professionals and homemaker. Unlike now education in the 50’s and 60’s stressed not only in academic excellence but also to produce outstanding homemakers. I can singlehandedly testify to this since everything that I learn today in the art of homemaking I have learned from my mother and my grandmother school textbooks.
So how do women in the 21st century cope with this dual task; should we delegate this task to the Indonesian maids so that we could focus more on our professional development.  I grew up with a governess and a maid meaning at one time we had two servants in the house; nonetheless they did not take over the role of homemaking their role is mainly to assist my mother in her daily task.
I would advocate as the women of the 21st century we should embrace these twofold roles with grace. We should strive and attempt to contribute to our traditional intended role and modern prescribed roles to safeguard the family institution. By no means should we leave this role to Indonesian maid, hence this move is fatal to the family institution. A woman is naturally created to be a wife and a mother so we must come to terms with this natural function and struggle to poise this with our modern stipulated function.
So how to we accomplish this balance: I would modestly offer a few advices; based on my delicate experiences.
      Be organize
Starts off with a schedule of daily task, weekly task and monthly task
Do not procrastinate
Once the schedule is done follow it carefully, do not put on hold or delay the schedule
      Be industrious
Clean as you go, try to do more than one thing at one time : eg cooking while doing laundry. Pick up clothes put them in the cloth hamper. Make sure the house is tidy before you retire to your bed.
      Housework vs. Office work
Try your best not  to bring home office work since by doing that it would disrupt housework schedule
Take Pride
Take pride in a work well done, a tidy house a well cooked meals, how much effort you put on preparing your husband work cloth from ironing to matching ties , tie clips and cufflinks
Treat yourself
When all is done reward yourself with something, spa, a favorite tv show or reading make sure you have enough rest. So you would have enough energy and vitality to manage these challenging roles
      Be Sincere
Convince yourself your doing this because Allah, and this an act of Ibadah, Allah would reward every act of sincerity with remuneration superior that any worldly enterprise could ever accomplish

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey my darling baby sis,
reading this post i have seen you blossom frm the little girl that used to follow me around like a lot puppy into a women, the little boyish girl that love her big bro(which is me) to bits... i used to remember how naughty we were... main dalam semak, main air banjir, those was simpler days...i have your family to thanks for these beautiful memories when my dad pass away your dad became my dad. for this i am truly thankful to him. i remembered our youth the fanzine era, ejan and reza miss you too anna banana. we were just talking about you the other day, we thought you have forgotten about us. hehehe sorry lama sgt senyap , we missed you and we wish you all the best big group hug, love you to bits you were always the lil baby. I hope we can quickly be uncle dalam masa terdekat, Haziq Fairuz nk awek lol..
hugs
LOPE

QuEeN oF tHe DaMnEd said...

lope!!!!! u read my work.Aku tak penah lupa korang, you guys were my childhood friends... you guys were the best part of my life, senyap cause i am so busy you knw life gets in the way.I MISS ALL OF YOU, nnt blk i am gonna tuntut my hugs!:P. Haziq Fairuz nak awek? meaning ko nk berbesan dgn aku ke? lol