Monday, December 19, 2011

I LOVE YOU DADDY!!!

I was a privileged child, my dad did not have much when he was growing up, he didn’t even finish high school, and my dad was a self made man. He singlehandedly managed to provide his kids with luxurious and privileged life. A frequent trip to country clubs and expensive shopping spree was a common occasion. I had so much privileges more than any kids my age could have so much that by the age of 13, I had turned into a very irresponsible, disobedient, difficult child that did not managed to finish anything I have started.
 My parents dreaded at the potential of me growing up as an irresponsible adult. Then my mum which had  a short lived career in modeling and acting was approached by one of her old friends with a proposal that I should try to have a career in modeling both of my parents thought that it would be a great idea. Mind you at the age of 14 I am already a towering 167cm weighing less than 45 kg I had the perfect model body. I was overjoyed with my parents proposal, but my dad pulled out a contract that I cannot quit the job if it gets too hard. Failure to do so I have to pay double the money I earned and all he expenses my parents had spent on this modeling gig, transport/ portfolio etc. Well I thought yea how hard could this be you just need to look pretty so I gladly and naively signed the contract.
It is not so long before long I realize that being a model glitz and glamour aside was actually a real tough job. It is a harsh world a lot of competition where people speak their mind without sugar coating it. If you are late your bosses are going to be mad at you, it consume long hours and with a lot of stress. You are expected to give 101% commitments and dedications body soul and mind. Reality blew up on my face knowing I could not possibly quit ( god knows how much I wanted it!) I decided to outdo my dad by saving all my hard earn money to pay him back.
After 6 months I managed to do so. When I finally handed him the money I was fighting back tears those were my hard earned money. My dad sat me down he says, I am not allowed to quit yet,he would hold on to this money and I would be given a break on one condition that I must finish reading a book. After I finish reading this book then I can quit.  He handed to me a plastic wrapped book the title of this book was The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck.
So I sat my sorry ass down and start reading, Peck opened his book with  -- "Life is difficult". Do take note I was 15yrs old teenager by now, so I was think wtf this sucks! But for the sake of quitting my job I continued reading, as I continued I discovered that "Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."
On the topic of discipline he puts forth the truth that life is a series of problems, and that life often seems difficult because the process of confronting these problems "evoke in us frustration or grief or sadness, anguish or despair." Yet it is in facing these problems that we gain wisdom, strength and courage. He states, "This tendency to avoid problems and the emotional suffering inherent in them is the primary basis of all human mental illness." He then follows with a discussion of the various ways people can learn to cope with suffering and go on to become a truer manifestation of one's soul here on Earth.

On the topic of love he discusses the difference between being "in love" and love. He notes that love is not a feeling, but an activity, and defines it as "the willingness to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one's own and another's spiritual growth." He bemoans the rampant notion of romantic love that pervades society today, which holds that one is not truly in love unless one feels those incredible "I'm in love" feelings that we all know so well. He observes, "Many, many people possessing a feeling of love and even acting in response to that feeling act in all manner of unloving and destructive ways. On the other hand, a genuinely loving individual will often take loving and constructive action toward a person he or she consciously dislikes..."

In a nutshell what I can say is, the book is written in a voice that is timeless in its message of understanding, The Road Less Traveled continues to enable me to explore the nature of loving relationships and leads me toward a new serenity and fullness of life. It helps me determine how to distinguish dependency from love; how to become a more sensitive child; and ultimately how to become my own true self

After a week I sat down again with my dad, I told him I want to continue, this book and my dad changed my life, from that moment on take problems by the horn and battle them. I am no longer the spoilt brat I was, I have started to live my life with a sense of responsibility. Who I am today I am deeply indebted to my dad, thanks that for showing me the meaning of being resilient. I love you a lot

No comments: